Changing your name and gender on your driver’s licence, passport, and other legal documentation is often one of the most liberating steps that a trans* person can take towards living authentically in the community. This process can often be confronting for many people and this need not be the case. Below we have outlined the processes involved in changing your identity documentation.


Changing Your name.

To change your name is a relatively simple process and the Department of Internal Affairs has done a fantastic job on their website outlining the process.

There is also the not so small matter of the $170 you’ll need to pay to change your name. This is often confused with changing your gender on your birth certificate which is free. 

One of the most confronting aspects of changing your name is the statutory declaration that you need to make. You will need to see a Justice of the Peace to do this. They will also need to verify copies of your current identity documents that you will need to submit with your application. This can normally be done at your local Citizens Advice Bureau. If you have any questions or need someone to support you through the process please contact us to see how Gender Dynamix can help.

Note: You are not able to change your name without the consent of a parent or guardian if you are under the age of 18.


This information will be available soon.

Ted Talks About Transgender Issues

What doctors should know about gender identity.

What it’s like being a transgender dad.

How to talk (and listen) to transgender people.

This is what LGBT life is like around the world.

How I help transgender teens become who they want to be. 

The press trampled on my privacy. Here’s how I took back my story.

How I’m bringing queer pride to my rural village

Why I must come out

Beyond the Gender Binary 

RainbowYOUTH support queer & gender diverse (LGBT) young people in Aotearoa, New Zealand.

OUTLine support queer & gender diverse (LGBT) people in Aotearoa, New Zealand.